We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Moonswatch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
nicegator
MoT Member

Re: Moonswatch

Post by nicegator »

I'll be having hard time to pay even MSRP.
But, I'm also not a big fan of original one.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Oh noes! ;) (I think this is reported elsewhere, too)

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AndyS wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 am Oh noes! ;) (I think this is reported elsewhere, too)

I haven't heard of any of the other colors doing this. Weird.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
dumpweed
MoT Member

Post by dumpweed »

AndyS wrote:Oh noes! ;) (I think this is reported elsewhere, too)

From a Taiwanese buyer:

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

More:

The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

They're all gonna turn into Smurfs.
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

Except for leprechauns
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:15 pm They're all gonna turn into Smurfs.
No, they're space themed:

AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Nevermind, after thinking about it, I'll wait until after 4/1 to see if this still is out there. Somebody's posting on reddit that there will be more of these homages to iconic watches from Swatch.
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

In this piece, the Swatch CEO keeps repeating this will not be sold online.
This leads me to the next question to Hayek — why he didn’t and doesn’t offer the MoonSwatch online. “There’s no emotion in online buying. It’s a carefully produced Swiss Made watch and not a commodity. After the whole world had to stay at home for two years because of COVID, it was about time to celebrate and to bring the people back on the streets, meet together, and revive the brick-and-mortar stores.”
Seems like an answer I'd give as a CEO as long as I've got a shortage of my product. As soon as I get a surplus, fire up swatch.com.

Didn't Swatch say initially eventually it would be sold online? Don't remember if I read that through their instagram, or through the filter of some interview somewhere.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

AndyS wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:50 pm In this piece, the Swatch CEO keeps repeating this will not be sold online.
This leads me to the next question to Hayek — why he didn’t and doesn’t offer the MoonSwatch online. “There’s no emotion in online buying. It’s a carefully produced Swiss Made watch and not a commodity. After the whole world had to stay at home for two years because of COVID, it was about time to celebrate and to bring the people back on the streets, meet together, and revive the brick-and-mortar stores.”
Seems like an answer I'd give as a CEO as long as I've got a shortage of my product. As soon as I get a surplus, fire up swatch.com.

Didn't Swatch say initially eventually it would be sold online? Don't remember if I read that through their instagram, or through the filter of some interview somewhere.
I have nothing nice to say.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I have decided I will never own a moonswatch. They are poor quality hypebeast fodder released under the guise of making omega style accessible, and instead artificially limited to become inaccessible to most. The experience exemplifies everything I loathe in modern culture and commerce. Unfortunately it is not practical to avoid owning any watch brands under the Swatch umbrella and still be a collector. But I can still express myself. What a complete sham, “**** you, Swatch. Go **** yourself.”
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pm I have decided I will never own a moonswatch. They are poor quality hypebeast fodder released under the guise of making omega style accessible and instead artificially limited to become inaccessible to most. The experience exemplifies everything I loath in modern culture and commerce. Unfortunately it is not practical to not own any watch brands under the Swatch umbrella and still be a collector. But I can still express myself. What a complete sham, “**** you, Swatch. Go **** yourself.” No….I don’t mince my words, nor hold back.
I honestly don't think they're limiting production. I think they were obviously shocked at the initial sales and just didn't have enough launch inventory. They've said repeatedly (including in that piece I posted) that you shouldn't pay a scalper because they're not limiting the production.

All the other crap they're saying about having to go to a select few stores to buy these? That's BS over the long term. Poorly managed.

I think these are cool. I do think I'd probably be much happier with my Casioaks day to day, and I don't see the Swatch's being worth twice the price of a GA-2100.

That said, I totally get where you're coming from.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

AndyS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:57 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:40 pm I have decided I will never own a moonswatch. They are poor quality hypebeast fodder released under the guise of making omega style accessible and instead artificially limited to become inaccessible to most. The experience exemplifies everything I loath in modern culture and commerce. Unfortunately it is not practical to not own any watch brands under the Swatch umbrella and still be a collector. But I can still express myself. What a complete sham, “**** you, Swatch. Go **** yourself.” No….I don’t mince my words, nor hold back.
I honestly don't think they're limiting production. I think they were obviously shocked at the initial sales and just didn't have enough launch inventory. They've said repeatedly (including in that piece I posted) that you shouldn't pay a scalper because they're not limiting the production.

All the other crap they're saying about having to go to a select few stores to buy these? That's BS over the long term. Poorly managed.

I think these are cool. I do think I'd probably be much happier with my Casioaks day to day, and I don't see the Swatch's being worth twice the price of a GA-2100.

That said, I totally get where you're coming from.
What I love about this place is we can all have different opinions, even fervent ones, and still be respectful to each other. I think everyone should make up their own mind - some will buy one (or more), others will not. For the money I agree you can buy more / higher quality watches…but because they are delicate you will likely make money if you buy one, keep it unworn and then flip it in 10 years when all the worn ones have fallen apart. Despite my strong resentment, I have to admit they oddly may be a good investment.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

watchpalooza, this video kind of backs up your take :) (And my guess about my personal preference being for the GA-2100's)