We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 History

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
TimePeace
MoT Member

Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 History

Post by TimePeace »

As Momentum releases the Sea Quartz 30 at the time of this post, I found some interesting historical discussion on the original Chronosport Sea Quartz 30:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/chro ... 0.5362902/

Some notable points:
1. The Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 may have been the first quartz dive watch (debatable vs Seiko),
2. Breitling helped develop the watch,
3. It beat out Rolex Sub and even Seikos in the US and UK military due to its lower cost,
4. Price with strap was $149.95, with bracelet $164.95

Some of the vintage models exceed $6000 currently!

Would love to hear other’s perspectives on this watch.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Chronosport Sea Quartz 30 History

Post by MoT »

It's an interesting history indeed.

I'm particularly enjoying the fact that St. Moritz still had some originals that they were able to have the newly released modeled from. I'm looking forward to mine.

I also loved Magnum P.I. as a kid, so that tie in is exciting as well.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TimePeace
MoT Member

Post by TimePeace »

Enjoyed some Magnum P.I. as well!

Did not know about the St. Moritz connection. Thanks for that tidbit.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TimePeace wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:30 pm Did not know about the St. Moritz connection. Thanks for that tidbit.
The same company from the very start. Chronosport was started and run by the same family that started St. Moritz Watch Corp. in 1980. The full name of Momentum is Momentum by St. Moritz.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
TimePeace
MoT Member

Post by TimePeace »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:37 pm
TimePeace wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:30 pm Did not know about the St. Moritz connection. Thanks for that tidbit.
The same company from the very start. Chronosport was started and run by the same family that started St. Moritz Watch Corp. in 1980. The full name of Momentum is Momentum by St. Moritz.
Interesting. And Momentum is stationed in Vancouver, Canada.

All roads lead to Switzerland…
bc4393
MoT Member

Post by bc4393 »

Screw I'm in. They had me at Magnum PI.
salems

Post by salems »

I heard about 80/85$ cost of shipping to different countries (Europe or Asia), does any know if taxes or import duties are included?
It's almost the half of the cost of the watch🤔

Edito, tax and duties say al last step of purchase are included.
Last edited by salems on Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

salems wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:01 am I heard about 80/85$ cost of shipping to different countries (Europe or Asia), does any know if taxes or import duties are included?
I'm sure one of us could forward a Sea Quartz to you for much cheaper than that.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

salems

Post by salems »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:20 am
salems wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:01 am I heard about 80/85$ cost of shipping to different countries (Europe or Asia), does any know if taxes or import duties are included?
I'm sure one of us could forward a Sea Quartz to you for much cheaper than that.
Thank you so much, but if in the 80€ are import duties included (15€ shipping and 65€ taxes and import duties) as they seem to say... If any could send me the problem is i have to deal with custom papelwork procedures and of course pay...It would be perfect if momentum could send within Europe or some member...
salems

Post by salems »

At last i couldn't miss It, i'm in . Despiste of paying 81$ between shipping plus custom prepayed taxes.
It's a lot but Magnum IS the best
It's a pity i missed the first batch , i sent momentum a question about this taxes with no answer so i missed the first batch because of them.
TimePeace
MoT Member

Post by TimePeace »

salems wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:43 pm At last i couldn't miss It, i'm in . Despiste of paying 81$ between shipping plus custom prepayed taxes.
It's a pity i missed the first batch , i sent momentum a question about this taxes with no answer so i missed the first batch because of them.
Well, if you paid for it already you should get the $195 USD price, which saves you $64 USD compared to if you bought it after Jan 18th, when the price goes up.

So really you’re paying $81 - $64 = $17 more than people in the US will be paying for it after Jan 18th.

Go, Magnum P.I.!
salems

Post by salems »

TimePeace wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:57 pm
salems wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:43 pm At last i couldn't miss It, i'm in . Despiste of paying 81$ between shipping plus custom prepayed taxes.
Well, if you paid for it already you should get the $195 USD price, which saves you $64 USD compared to if you bought it after Jan 18th, when the price goes up.

So really you’re paying $81 - $64 = $17 more than people in the US will be paying for it after Jan 18th.

Go, Magnum P.I.!
Yes you can see it in that way... i´m a little disappointed for not getting it so early and have to wait because of no getting response.
i thought after jan 18th the price will be $265 USD price, that means $70 USD more than now...
My question to them is about momentum watches in europe, when you buy in amazon.es momentum watches europe is the one who sell momentum watches with no extra taxes... i asked them if this" momentum watches europe " could sell me that watch. Also asked to "momentum watches europe" through amazon, but not answer also...
TimePeace
MoT Member

Post by TimePeace »

salems wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:16 pm

Go, Magnum P.I.!
Yes you can see it in that way... i´m a little disappointed for not getting it so early and have to wait because of no getting response.
i thought after jan 18th the price will be $265 USD price, that means $70 USD more than now...
My question to them is about momentum watches in europe, when you buy in amazon.es momentum watches europe is the one who sell momentum watches with no extra taxes... i asked them if this" momentum watches europe " could sell me that watch. Also asked to "momentum watches europe" through amazon, but not answer also...
Yes, you are correct. Momentum’s website currently says: “By pre-ordering now, you are reserving a Sea Quartz 30 from the next production batch, expected for delivery in May 2023. Since we are opening the next production’s pre-order early, we are extending our 1980 pre-order price deal until January 18th.”

If you don’t get any answer from Momentum re: Amazon.es availability by January 17, you may want to just order it on their main website before the price goes up.
salems

Post by salems »

TimePeace wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:01 am
salems wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:16 pm

Go, Magnum P.I.!
Yes, you are correct. Momentum’s website currently says: “By pre-ordering now, you are reserving a Sea Quartz 30 from the next production batch, expected for delivery in May 2023. Since we are opening the next production’s pre-order early, we are extending our 1980 pre-order price deal until January 18th.”

If you don’t get any answer from Momentum re: Amazon.es availability by January 17, you may want to just order it on their main website before the price goes up.
Thank you, but i ordered last thursday. I didn't want to Risk.
But today y have no answer...
The momentum sea quartz seems a great watch, i Hope quality Will be outstanding.
TimePeace
MoT Member

Post by TimePeace »

There was mention on another watch forum that Momentum may make a solar version of the Chronosport Sea Quartz 30. If they did that to the same specs I would be completely up for that!