As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Boderry Titanium Field watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
CVP33
MoT Member

Boderry Titanium Field watches

Post by CVP33 »

TONS OF VALUE
I ordered 2 of the Boderry Titanium field watches. As already well discussed and reviewed these offer a ton of value at their introductory price of sub-$70. I also have 7 of their other designs from skeletons to divers in both titanium and bronze and have been generally pleased with their fit, finish and aesthetics.

STUTTERING MIYOTA
Regarding the field watches and specifically the Miyota movement, I have one (the white dial) that works perfectly. It exhibits no stuttering in the second hand that has been described here and elsewhere. However the black one very much stutters when sweeping from 12 - 3. It honestly doesn’t bother me as you only notice if you’re staring at the watch during the 15 second ‘stutter zone’ and it appears to keep the same accurate time as the non-stuttering version after 4 hours of observation.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
I sent Boderry an email yesterday at around 6:30pm. And received a response around 10:00pm. Understandable given the 12 hour difference from EST to Guangzhou, China (or Hong Kong). So no conspiracies here for me or a watchmaker hiding out or attempting to block customers’ emails. Their response seemed reasonable and the provided link was also helpful regarding the movement.

RESPONSE
Hello,sorry for the late reply.

The problem you mentioned is a structural design problem of the Japanese Miyota 82XX series movement, not a defect of the watch itself.
The series of Miyota movements based on the 82XX caliber have the Indirect Drive system.
The “Hesitating Second Hand”, you observed on your watch is simply a characteristic of the “Indirect Seconds” type of movement design and in no way has any effect on the watch accuracy or timekeeping.

A quick Google search brought the following answer:
what does second hand skipping automatic:

https://calibercorner.com/stuttering-se ... explained/

We suggest you fully wind the watch (20-30 turns) and observe whether its performance improves.
Thanks for your feedback. Let us know your thoughts.

Best Wishes
BODERRY TEAM

@Boderry Official - boderry.com| Contact us: support@boderry.com

CONCLUSION
While I don’t think that time or 30-winds are going to correct an engineering reality of the movement, I’d also say that the stuttering is not a ‘deal-breaker’ for me. I have nearly 500 watches and several have this movement (around 30). This makes 3 now (or 10%) that stutter in my collection. No idea if that’s a good number, about average or worse. I do think a PSA regarding this issue would’ve helped others preemptively if Boderry would’ve included it. Some would argue, if you are a watch-lover you should already know. Others would argue that it’s not acceptable. So in summary for me:

- If 10% (or more) of the Miyota movements do this, well it’s a bit of a lottery
- If it really doesn’t impact the accuracy of the watch, I really don’t care
- Boderry’s value overall is really hard to beat and I’d still have ordered the watches had I known of the potential stuttering
- Boderry’s communications and service for me have been better than most micro brands that are self-distributing
- Overall the stutter doesn’t both me or effect the accuracy so I’m pretty darned pleased with my automatic, titanium field watch on engraved nato strap for under $70…….but that’s me.
FCC8B9DB-99D4-4DFC-B4AE-12699A44DAC8.jpeg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Boderry Titanium Field watches

Post by TheJohnP »

Thanks for putting all this together.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

CVP33 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:42 amCONCLUSION
While I don’t think that time or 30-winds are going to correct an engineering reality of the movement, I’d also say that the stuttering is not a ‘deal-breaker’ for me. I have nearly 500 watches and several have this movement (around 30). This makes 3 now (or 10%) that stutter in my collection. No idea if that’s a good number, about average or worse. I do think a PSA regarding this issue would’ve helped others preemptively if Boderry would’ve included it. Some would argue, if you are a watch-lover you should already know. Others would argue that it’s not acceptable. So in summary for me:

- If 10% (or more) of the Miyota movements do this, well it’s a bit of a lottery
- If it really doesn’t impact the accuracy of the watch, I really don’t care
- Boderry’s value overall is really hard to beat and I’d still have ordered the watches had I known of the potential stuttering
- Boderry’s communications and service for me have been better than most micro brands that are self-distributing
- Overall the stutter doesn’t both me or effect the accuracy so I’m pretty darned pleased with my automatic, titanium field watch on engraved nato strap for under $70…….but that’s me.

FCC8B9DB-99D4-4DFC-B4AE-12699A44DAC8.jpeg
Good read, I enjoy owner experiences. Thanks for this.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Regarding the stuttering hand issue, I received a different reply:

"Hello, we apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have received some feedback from our customers regarding the issue of the second hand stuttering. We consulted with Miyota's after-sales department and learned about the cause of the problem. The issue of the second hand stuttering and occasionally stopping is most likely caused by the unbalanced left clamp of the second-hand wheel in a small batch of Miyota 8215 movements. We have found a solution to improve this problem and we are willing to replace it for you free of charge. Please let us know your thoughts on this. Thank you for your support."

They offered a refund or exchange. I chose the latter. They sent me a return label (shipping to Philly) and committed to replace it. The watch was delivered last Thursday the 25th. Nothing yet from them.

Their email access continues to frustrate. When I send them an email using two different mail clients I get a non-deliverable/permanent error message. Re-sending several times has resulted in a reply. Not a good first impression. If the watch wasn't so inexpensive for the specs, I'd have asked for a refund and moved on.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Most wouldn't bother rectifying the known 8215 issue, so I'll give them props for willing to replace watches with the problem.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Three weeks ago I was advised that my replacement watch would be shipped. "Might be shipped" would have been a better response.

I have yet to be advised that my repaired watch has been shipped.

And email messages to their "support" address is returned as a failed Permanent Error.

This outfit is bush league.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.