We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Any portable audiophiles?

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Any portable audiophiles?

Post by watchpalooza »

It had been awhile, but I dusted off my favorite portable audio rig and jammed during my breaks at work today. I put this setup together 5 years ago to take to Germany, as I left my home-fi tube setup back in storage. Just wondering if there are any other Head-Fi’ers here.

Here my Fostex HP-V1 portable tube amp all fired up:
F126A88B-2B25-4572-9B90-D83F7758467D.jpeg

Here a photo of the Teclast T51 on top:
F1ADB8E5-47F8-4B84-9EC4-5ECA64B51E8C.jpeg

I have always been a big fan of the richness and natural warmth of tube sound, a large soundstage, and balanced sound. This setup surprisingly delivers. I get about 7-8 hours per charge with the Fostex and about 11 from the T51.

The Teclast is one of the best portable DAP’s I have heard...the sound clarity is incredible with dual Wolfson WM8740 DACs and either a OPA2604 burr-brown opamp for driving its dedicated line out or a dedicated Philips NXP chip for the headphone out. The combo will drive just about any headphones with grace.

The week sucked...but Ahhhhh....it has been a good day.
E77E813A-61F4-4CEB-8B59-768CDE4D8E05.png
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: Any portable audiophiles?

Post by Split-Time »

My father is a budget audiophile, if there is such a thing. I was raised as one as well. He doesn't do any digital. He sent me a list of CDs that he wanted and one of them was only available used in Japan and he was happy to wait for it (need to ask if it has arrived).

We have been using a pair of his hand me down NTH super zeros, SW200 subwoofer and MA-1 amp since we got married. I remember him being so excited about them in the mid 90's, especially for the price. After our son started crawling around they had to come off of the speaker stands and you wouldn't want to know where they are or how close to the wall. Every time I think about putting them back on the stands and out where they should be I see a kid something fly by out of the corner of my eye :? .

Wow. I just looked and can't believe how inexpensive the speakers themselves are. I don't need to go down another rabbit hole.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Re: Any portable audiophiles?

Post by DogOnTime »

Been around Head-fi since my high school days but never went beyond a DAP and amp.
Current set-up is just a couple of Chinese IEM's: TRN BA5's and Shuoer TAPE's.
Realised as time went by that it became impossible to keep up with advances in the industry (kind of like smartphones) and lost free time as I got older.