We're Moving!

Click for more info.

lighting > webcam

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

lighting > webcam

Post by BostonCharlie »

My last online job interview relied on an inexpensive Logitech webcam and a makeshift array of LED lights. It wasn't ideal. So I recently went in for an LED ring light (18") from B&H (here) and an expensive Logitech webcam. The ring light is mounted behind my dual-monitor stand. ATM I have both web cams going, one perched on each monitor, and they both appear to be working fine for teleconferencing purposes. I'm not sure somebody could tell that one was 4x more expensive. But the light ring is working much better than my old setup -- def a keeper.

Seeing myself through the cam, though, I realize my posture is really bad: it's like I'm always leaning slightly to the right, lol.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: lighting > webcam

Post by TheJohnP »

In my previous job, it was highly encouraged that folks turn on their cam during meetings or video calls.

New gig is a 180 in that regard. Maybe one or two folks on cam during a big group meeting.

Easy to get used to, but had to get used to it.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:05 pm In my previous job, it was highly encouraged that folks turn on their cam during meetings or video calls.

New gig is a 180 in that regard. Maybe one or two folks on cam during a big group meeting.

Easy to get used to, but had to get used to it.
Recalls to mind my first Skype video call. Afterward I was like: why look at each other during a call? I found it distracting.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I was just thinking about this. I haven't been paying much attention to the video feed coming from my end during company calls, but recently I had to record a short clip for someone and my goodness, the quality of my video was awful! It's grainy, lighting was terrible, and Iet's not get started on how I looked! I didn't have a set up - I just used the camera on the company Lenovo and regular room lighting. Was I doomed to fail?

I had thought about getting something like this Would it help I wonder... and if I need to go up in specs?

What @BostonCharlie posted certainly made me think if I need to get a LED light as well...but why would I want bright light on my face? That's just gonna scare people..
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

pdsf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:58 am I was just thinking about this. I haven't been paying much attention to the video feed coming from my end during company calls, but recently I had to record a short clip for someone and my goodness, the quality of my video was awful! It's grainy, lighting was terrible, and Iet's not get started on how I looked! I didn't have a set up - I just used the camera on the company Lenovo and regular room lighting. Was I doomed to fail?

I had thought about getting something like this Would it help I wonder... and if I need to go up in specs?

What @BostonCharlie posted certainly made me think if I need to get a LED light as well...but why would I want bright light on my face? That's just gonna scare people..
That Amazon web cam is just like the little web cam I used in my test. It worked fine as long as there was good light. When light was low not only did the picture look bad, but the frame rate dropped so that the video was choppy. I suspect that the frame rate dropped because the camera was trying to fix my low lighting on the fly with image processing that slowed it down.

Scaring co-workers can be good. You don't need their love, just their respect. ;-)

But that does make me think a little. The nicer Logitech I bought (Logitech Brio 4K Webcam) included software that I suspect uses image processing to make me look better. The software is called Logitech Capture, and I'm using it on Windows. It has other nifty features for video conferencing, like screen sharing. I just tried, and it doesn't seem to work with my budget Logitech web cam. So getting the more expensive Logitech isn't just about the specs, it also seems to give you access to their better software. Indeed, I found the models that work with their software here and it doesn't include my little camera.

Update to add that some people put their laptop on a riser (like this one) when using video so that its camera angle is more flattering. Add an external keyboard and mouse for long term use (I'm on a computer all day so I'm picky about peripherals). The article opened up by quoting a plastic surgeon saying how inquiries about double-chin work had boomed since covid started, lol. Camera angle is the real culprit.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

^thanks, @BostonCharlie! You are right - no need for love from colleagues, but if that ever happens, then it's icing on the cake. :)

My desk space is limited so I have my work laptop positioned under a separate monitor that is set higher so I have the monitor screen and the laptop screen to use (when the latter is open). The way the monitor is set up is similar to using a riser so yeah, I am thinking of clipping a camera on top of the monitor, not the laptop.

I doubt the IT guys at work will let me install the Logitech software on the company machine; I am checking to see if a model like this would work without the Logitech software: Will report back.