We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Forum disappeared from Tapatalk

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
dumpweed
MoT Member

Re: Forum disappeared from Tapatalk

Post by dumpweed »

ManOnTime wrote:"Likes" should be working again.
“Thanks” works now!
dumpweed
MoT Member

Post by dumpweed »

TheJohnP wrote:Can someone explain the benefits of Tapatalk?

All I seem to read is people complaining about it.
On mobile devices, usually apps are easier to use than browser. Other example: Google maps app is easier than Google maps in browser.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

dumpweed wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm

On mobile devices, usually apps are easier to use than browser. Other example: Google maps app is easier than Google maps in browser.

That makes sense.
But I've never used Tapatalk and had nearly 0 issues on mobile.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Two of the main features I like about Tapatalk are 1) it takes me right to where I left off on a particular thread, and 2) it groups threads based on those you’ve participated in, those you’ve saved, most recent comments, etc.

Oh, and pic uploads are super simple too.
borgil
MoT Member

Forum disappeared from Tapatalk

Post by borgil »

recapt wrote:

Two of the main features I like about Tapatalk are 1) it takes me right to where I left off on a particular thread, and 2) it groups threads based on those you’ve participated in, those you’ve saved, most recent comments, etc.

Same for me plus notifications through the iOS built-in system for whatever thread or sub-group you have subscribed to.

MoT, thanks for fixing the issue!
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

recapt wrote:

Yep this, plus:

- it keeps all of my forums together so no mucking around with web addresses or logins.

- the thread is just that- one long thread, so easier to scroll than keep loading new pages.

Just far easier on mobile once you get used to it. By way of example, I have MoT open on my laptop in front of me but am writing this on my mobile!

Anyway, back on tapatalk issues, it's been logging me out every few hours, but at least this time it's as simple as clicking log me back in when promoted, rather than the forum disappearing entirely.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

borgil wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:43 am
recapt wrote:

Same for me plus notifications through the iOS built-in system for whatever thread or sub-group you have subscribed to.

MoT, thanks for fixing the issue!

The majority of these "features" are available via the desktop/mobile version of the site.

Tapatalk, for site admins, is such a hassle. Every single time they "upgrade", settings have to be tweaked and things still break anyway. It also takes over some things on the back end that I wish it wouldn't, and that I can't disable.

The only reason I keep it around is because we have a dedicated group of users that prefer it. If it were up to me, I'd dump it in an instant.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I did notice something I hadn’t noticed before. There is a donate as on Tapatalk soliciting donations to help with the implementation of Tapatalk. Do these donations go to TapaTalk or to MoT?

Maybe this has been there the whole time, but I just noticed it this morning. If Tapatalk added this on their own and it wouldn’t really benefit MoT then I say dump them completely and I will migrate over to the website permanently.
6081E17A-7175-42F5-A9BB-953A55BA1739.png
422D269D-B6C2-4B16-B5B6-9D2B4C7DD4FA.png
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 am I did notice something I hadn’t noticed before. There is a donate as on Tapatalk soliciting donations to help with the implementation of Tapatalk. Do these donations go to TapaTalk or to MoT?

Maybe this has been there the whole time, but I just noticed it this morning. If Tapatalk added this on their own and it wouldn’t really benefit MoT then I say dump them completely and I will migrate over to the website permanently.
6081E17A-7175-42F5-A9BB-953A55BA1739.png422D269D-B6C2-4B16-B5B6-9D2B4C7DD4FA.png
That's the kind of thing I am talking about.

Tapatalk makes changes, or activates things and then leaves it up for site admins or users to discover.

That's an "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" setting. It looks like any monies donated go to Tapatalk where they are converted into "Gold Points", who's arbitrary value can be changed by Tapatalk at any time.

I just switched it off.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 am I did notice something I hadn’t noticed before. There is a donate as on Tapatalk soliciting donations to help with the implementation of Tapatalk. Do these donations go to TapaTalk or to MoT?

6081E17A-7175-42F5-A9BB-953A55BA1739.png422D269D-B6C2-4B16-B5B6-9D2B4C7DD4FA.png
That's the kind of thing I am talking about.

Tapatalk makes changes, or activates things and then leaves it up for site admins or users to discover.

That's an "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" setting. It looks like any monies donated go to Tapatalk where they are converted into "Gold Points", who's arbitrary value can be changed by Tapatalk at any time.

I just switched it off.
OK, that isn’t at all cool. Deleting Tapatalk now.
dumpweed
MoT Member

Post by dumpweed »

Tapatalk stopped showing there were new posts on the bargain thread.
But when I went into the thread, I could see new posts.
It started yesterday.
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

dumpweed wrote:Tapatalk stopped showing there were new posts on the bargain thread.
It started yesterday.
Same thing has happened to me, also starting yesterday, but on all threads I'm subscribed to on all forums, including MoT, WUS and the Rolex Forum. I have to go into each of the above to see new posts.

I also don't see my own posts updated like I normally do.

Definitely a Tapatalk issue.
dumpweed
MoT Member

Post by dumpweed »

PetrosD wrote:
dumpweed wrote:Tapatalk stopped showing there were new posts on the bargain thread.
It started yesterday.
Same thing has happened to me, also starting yesterday, but on all threads I'm subscribed to on all forums, including MoT, WUS and the Rolex Forum. I have to go into each of the above to see new posts.

Fixed for me.
PetrosD
MoT Member

Post by PetrosD »

dumpweed wrote:
PetrosD wrote:
It started yesterday.

Fixed for me.
Yes, it seemed to be fixed late last evening.