We're Moving!

Click for more info.

What Would You Like To See?

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: What Would You Like To See?

Post by MoT »

This is going to look like some stream of consciousness rambling, so bear with me.

I think we're all going around each other in circles about the same question: How do we move extraneous chatter out of the deal thread but keep it an open and inviting place for members?

I recognize that a certain portion of membership only visits the deals thread, and personally, I don't mind a certain level of chatter in the HUISABH thread. "Hey the watch I got from X deal came in" or "Did anyone get a shipping notice yet" type comments are perfectly fine. Dragging those comments out to 2 or 3 or 5 pages of back and forth is where I tend to step in and ask for folks to get back on track, and to move those discussions to dedicated threads.
peskydonut wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:40 pm - An official HUISABH-meta thread. A scenic frontage road to the deal superhighway that is the official HUISABH thread. Laxer rules on what's considered “off-topic banter". Any prolonged chatter on HUISABH can be "taken to meta". Maybe repurpose "Deals Talk"?

- If a single "meta" thread is too unstructured, how about a designated section for HUISABH deal breakout threads? We sort of have that now, but it's very informal. Someone (mod, OP, or someone else) creates a thread and diverts conversation there. If the concept was a bit more formalized I think it would have a wider adoption.
I do like these ideas, and I'll have to think about how they can be implemented. A "HUISABH Deal Discussion" or similar thread could be created and then easily "stuck" so that it's always on top. It would be then simple enough to direct members to that thread if/when the NADs get rolling.
peskydonut wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:35 pm What if there was a "Discuss this deal" button you could click next to a deal to start a separate thread in a designated place. In the newly created thread, first post would embed (or quote) the original deal from the HUISABH thread. Back on the HUISABH deal there would automatically appear a link from the deal post to the newly created discussion thread.
I like this idea a lot, but
watchpalooza wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:59 pmWe are under some technical limitations
PHPBB is good software. Unfortunately, it does not have some functionality that I would like, and I lack the ability to write those functions in, even if they are possible. I can and will do some research to see if a button or some other similar method is available as a plug-in or modification.

Thank you [mention]peskydonut[/mention] for starting this discussion. These are the types of things I enjoy seeing from members, and it does give us things to think about.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Personally I think the mod team is doing a great job at holding that balance between allowing some discussion and interaction in the deals thread, and knowing when to step in with a gentle reminder to keep the deals thread about deals. I've been reminder myself and always appreciate the tone it's given in.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

cortman wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am Personally I think the mod team is doing a great job at holding that balance between allowing some discussion and interaction in the deals thread, and knowing when to step in with a gentle reminder to keep the deals thread about deals. I've been reminder myself and always appreciate the tone it's given in.

I absolutely agree and never intended for my feedback to be a criticism of the work that the mods are doing.

Seems like this was a case of a solution looking for a problem. We can revisit the topic if and when it becomes an actual issue.
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am
cortman wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am Personally I think the mod team is doing a great job at holding that balance between allowing some discussion and interaction in the deals thread, and knowing when to step in with a gentle reminder to keep the deals thread about deals. I've been reminder myself and always appreciate the tone it's given in.

I absolutely agree and never intended for my feedback to be a criticism of the work that the mods are doing.
I think I can speak for [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] and [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] when I say that none of us took it that way.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

peskydonut wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am

Seems like this was a case of a solution looking for a problem. We can revisit the topic if and when it becomes an actual issue.
I think we don’t need a problem to try to make things better. Thoughtful members like you help us to continuously improve. 🙏
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:18 pm
Front Mission wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm All I want is a dark mode option for the forum.
That may be doable.
Is this possible? I'd an option for dark mode too.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm
Front Mission wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm All I want is a dark mode option for the forum.
That may be doable.

Theoretically...yes.

It requires installing a different theme, and then allowing users to select that theme. Not a big deal at all, but it can really change the look and feel of the site for the user (obviously) and may break plug-ins. I'll find one, test it and report if it's Ok.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:15 pm

That may be doable.

Theoretically...yes.

It requires installing a different theme, and then allowing users to select that theme. Not a big deal at all, but it can really change the look and feel of the site for the user (obviously) and may break plug-ins. I'll find one, test it and report if it's Ok.
Will it change the look and feel for all users or just the ones that change to dark theme? Never mind, I see you answered my question in your response. This is going to be a long week...
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MoT's Watch Deal Forum now has a "dark mode"!

This is a completely optional setting. To change to dark mode, go to your User Control Panel. (You can click that link to go straight there.)

Once there, make sure "Digi DarkBlue2" is selected for "My board style:" and then click "Submit" at the bottom.

That's it! You now have dark mode, and hopefully your nighttime browsing will be a little easier on your eyes.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Awesome thanks!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 pm Awesome thanks!
I enjoy putting overtime in for the members. :D

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

No dark mode while we have the holiday overlay? Love the holiday theme, by the way. It was working last night?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:01 pm No dark mode while we have the holiday overlay? Love the holiday theme, by the way. It was working last night?
Unfortunately, the holiday banner doesn't jive with the dark theme skin, so I disabled it for now. :(

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:20 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:01 pm No dark mode while we have the holiday overlay? Love the holiday theme, by the way. It was working last night?
Unfortunately, the holiday banner doesn't jive with the dark theme skin, so I disabled it for now. :(
I always love the MOT holiday theme. The holiday season is my favorite time of year and it's so much fun to log in of a cold winter evening with a glass of egg nog and browse. :)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Dark mode has returned!

To enable on desktop, simply click the "Dark mode" button that appears in the Navigation Bar.

To disable, refresh or navigate to a different page and click the "Light mode" button.

With Chrome on Android the process is a bit different.

1. Select the "hamburger" at top-right.

2. Select "Desktop Site:

3. When page refreshes, then select "Dark mode" as above.

4. Repeat step 2, unchecking "Desktop Site"

Firefox on Android does not need these extra steps. Just click the "Dark mode" or "Light mode" button. Safari on iOS does not need the extra steps either.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT