We're Moving!

Click for more info.

A broken Makara and a non-responsive Nad

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Sal T Dog
MoT Member

A broken Makara and a non-responsive Nad

Post by Sal T Dog »

So a couple years ago the stem on my Sea Turtle II stopped seating and I can no longer screw down the crown.

I wrote Nad on several occasions asking if he could remedy it, or if not, how much I can expect to pay to have it repaired.

Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nad...a. Not a single response to multiple emails.

Well, since then it's been sitting idle on my dresser.

So, in lieu of getting any post-sale assistance from Nad (that will be the last Makara product I ever buy), I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue - either with the Sea Turtle stem or with a non-responsive Nad?

Also, one of the questions he never answered was whether or not I could just have another NH35 dropped in...

Anyway, that's my dilemma. Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: A broken Makara and a non-responsive Nad

Post by TheJohnP »

I recently had a crown come loose from the stem on a NH35 powered Praesidus. I took it it to my local watchmaker and it only cost $25 to fix.

Maybe take it to a local shop near you and either they should be able to fix or swap out with another NH35 movement.

That's how I handled my crown/stem issue. Not the same but maybe similar enough.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Since the “N” in nad is capitalized I’ll assume it means something other than short for gonad.

Makara has always made a poor quality watch. Take it to a watch maker.
Sal T Dog
MoT Member

Post by Sal T Dog »

Robotaz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm Since the “N” in nad is capitalized I’ll assume it means something other than short for gonad.

Makara has always made a poor quality watch. Take it to a watch maker.
Yeah, Nad is short for Nadir. Or AFAIAC moving forward, it's short for Nada, as in that's the sum total of what I will spend on another one of his projects for the rest of my life.

I have a watchmaker I've known for years who will swap out the NH35 with a new one for a song so long as I provide the replacement movement. And I like that chunk of bronze enough (I think it was all of $175 on preorder with a coupon code) it's worth keeping it running.

Just wondering if he's been as much a ghost to other customers as he has to me.
Sal T Dog
MoT Member

Post by Sal T Dog »

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:09 pm I recently had a crown come loose from the stem on a NH35 powered Praesidus. I took it it to my local watchmaker and it only cost $25 to fix.

Maybe take it to a local shop near you and either they should be able to fix or swap out with another NH35 movement.

That's how I handled my crown/stem issue. Not the same but maybe similar enough.
Idk how I missed your reply yesterday, but a movement swap is essentially what as record to me by one of the guys I use locally.

The crown is still fixed to the stem, but it won't seat inside the movement.