Watch advice

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Richirea

Watch advice

Post by Richirea »

Hey guys
I need a watch. I'm not exactly a watch expert but I know I like diver type watches. Want something that is reasonable quality, looks good, and doesn't cost a fortune. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts. Any good like here? Any better alternatives? I can spend more if you think it is worth doing so.
Thanks guys
Last edited by Richirea on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Watch advice

Post by Sporkboy »

If you wait for Black Friday, then you can get some good prices. For a diver the Casio MDV-106 and Invicta Pro Diver 8926 are classic and solid choices.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Do you have a specific budget in mind?
Living a comeback montage.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Richirea wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:00 am Hey guys
I need a watch. I'm not exactly a watch expert but I know I like diver type watches. Want something that is reasonable quality, looks good, and doesn't cost a fortune. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts. Any good? Any better alternatives? I can spend more if you think it is worth doing so.
Thanks guys
Sporkboy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 am If you wait for Black Friday, then you can get some good prices. For a diver the Casio MDV-106 and Invicta Pro Diver 8926 are classic and solid choices.

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention] suggested what are in my opinion the best bang-for-buck inexpensive diver watches. The quality of both exceeds their selling prices. The Casio Duro can always be found for less than $50. Here is an example listing on eBay:

Casio Duro MDV-106: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173115936298
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Two suggestions to your request.

As [mention]peskydonut[/mention] asks, what is your budget range?

Can you share some pic examples of watches you like and speak to you?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Sorry for not including pictures earlier. All are available under $100.

Casio MDV-106 under $50 quartz

Invicta Pro Diver 8926ob $40-$80 automatic

Casio G-Shock 5600 under $50
Rated at 200m, this totally counts.

Vostok Amphibia ~$60-$70 automatic
With 5 or so case designs, dozens of bezels and a ton of dial variants, there are tons of choices.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

I won't necessarily have all the answers but I might be able to help you ask the right questions. First off:
Now, on to the rest:
1. As per our resident breakfast pastry, figure out your budget. If you have a preferred cost range as well as an upper limit for something exceptional, state both.
2. Aside from the diver look, what features do you want? Do you plan to actually SCUBA dive with it, or is it just the look you care about? How much water exposure do you expect to subject it to, for that matter? (Rain, washing hands/dishes under a tap, swimming, etc.) Do you only care about time, or do you want day and/or date, stopwatch, etc?
3. What additional feature would make a model exceptional enough to bump from preferred to max price?
4. What type of movement? (IE, the guts which provide the time-telling and other functions.) Quartz (will need regular battery replacement), solar quartz (shouldn't need a new battery/capacitor for decades), automatic (winds itself from your normal arm movements as you wear it), hand-winding (have to wind it manually every day you want to use it)? How accurate do you care about it being?
5. Have you tried on any watches yet? They come in many sizes and weights, and you could wind up unhappy or uncomfortable with one which you find looks cartoonishly huge or tiny on your wrist, too clunky or insubstantial, or too heavy or light. Hit a department store and try out a variety; there are usually racks of cheap ones you can fondle if you don't want to hassle a clerk to bring out a bunch from locked display cases.