We're Moving!

Click for more info.

River Edge Jewelers

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
Extendedpizza
MoT Member

River Edge Jewelers

Post by Extendedpizza »

This past June, I saw a Ball Marvelight watch on their website that I liked. I decided to write them an email asking if they could provide a discount on it. James replied and said he could give me a 40% discount. Which brought the price down to $1019 from $1699.
I decided to pull the trigger and bought it. The transaction went smoothly and the shipping was fast.

But, when I received the watch it was not the one shown on their site. All of the hands on the watch looked I received looked different.
IMG_20200612_122828_01.jpg
IMG_20200612_123939.jpg
Screenshot_20200702-093953.jpg
I'm not sure if they sent me the wrong watch or have outdated pictures on their site. I wrote them an email the day I received the watch. Wanting to know what had happened with my order and get it sorted out. I usually got a reply to my email the next day. But, I never got a reply from anyone from River Edge Jewelers after that email. A friend of mine who I told what happened a few days later. Offered to buy the watch from me for what I paid for it and I sold it.

Another issue at least for me. As I was slowly opening the watch box for the first time. I didn't see the watch inside the box for an instant. Which made think the box was empty but luckily it wasn't. I found my Ball watch laying face down near the top left corner of the box. And not on the watch pillow as it should have been.

Overall, it wasn't the best experience I've had. I doubt I'll be returning to buy anything again.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: River Edge Jewelers

Post by yinzburgher »

The packaging and lack of a reply would be frustrating for me as well. That's a bummer. It's tough to tell from the picture, but the only difference I can see is that the one shown on the website has a gas tube on the second hand and the one in your photo does not. Do you notice any other differences? I just googled this reference NM2026C-S23J-BE and looked at a lot of them on Google Images and by going to various retail sites. I think it might be possible that both of these watches are actually the same exact reference. Most of the examples I saw do not have a tritium tube but you can find a fair amount that do. And yet both are listed with that exact reference. I'm wondering if one is just a newer production of the exact same watch. Ball may have changed the second hand on later productions without changing the reference or any other parts. It's not a common practice but I've seen that sort of thing before. Anyway, I'm glad you were at least able to recoup your costs.
Extendedpizza
MoT Member

Post by Extendedpizza »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:17 am The packaging and lack of a reply would be frustrating for me as well. That's a bummer. It's tough to tell from the picture, but the only difference I can see is that the one shown on the website has a gas tube on the second hand and the one in your photo does not. Do you notice any other differences? I just googled this reference NM2026C-S23J-BE and looked at a lot of them on Google Images and by going to various retail sites. I think it might be possible that both of these watches are actually the same exact reference. Most of the examples I saw do not have a tritium tube but you can find a fair amount that do. And yet both are listed with that exact reference. I'm wondering if one is just a newer production of the exact same watch. Ball may have changed the second hand on later productions without changing the reference or any other parts. It's not a common practice but I've seen that sort of thing before. Anyway, I'm glad you were at least able to recoup your costs.
The other difference were the tritium tubes on the hour and minute hands. On the screenshot I showed. You can see the tubes are bigger. They seem to start near the center of the dial and extend down the hands. On the watch I received, they are shorter.

Thanks for the reply, I am not familiar ball watches. So, the reference numbers are a mystery to me.
DogOnTime
MoT Member

Post by DogOnTime »

Extendedpizza wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:06 pm
The other difference were the tritium tubes on the hour and minute hands. On the screenshot I showed. You can see the tubes are bigger. They seem to start near the center of the dial and extend down the hands. On the watch I received, they are shorter.

Thanks for the reply, I am not familiar ball watches. So, the reference numbers are a mystery to me.
Unfortunately, this seemed like a REJ mistake, although I can't really blame them.
The stock picture you posted from their website was for the Engineer II model, which has the tritium on the second hand and the longer tubes on hand. Everything else is the same.

REJ sent you the proper watch based on the actual page, though. Sucks that they mixed up the pictures, but it is definitely difficult to distinguish without some knowledge of their previous models and honestly, Ball's website is pretty horrendous.

No excuse for the mistake, though.
tinpusher
MoT Member

Post by tinpusher »

That sucks that you didn't get an email response. Did you try and reach out to call or contact via any other means? If you were still ghosted after trying multiple communication channels I definitely think REJ should given a chance to clarify their side. Everyone has stuff come up so maybe your email got buried and lost. Not a great look to have an issue come up and avoid the situation
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I think calling them is your best bet. I didn't get a response via email or PM, but Abe answered the phone and got me connected with James. I think they are busy with reopening. They're really good guys to work with.
Slant
MoT Member

Post by Slant »

Saw this recent review on WUS: https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/rive ... d.5431327/

"River Edge Jewelers / Luxe Time: AVOID

Some background...I've purchased multiple watches over the last few years from River Edge Jeweler's in NJ. While their communication is lacking, and I had an issue with a return once (eventually resolved), their "standard discount" was so good that I kept coming back to them. At some point recently, they changed their business name from "River Edge Jewelers" to "Luxe Time". I wondered if this wasn't a bad sign that something ominous was going on with the place. Apparently I went back to the well one time too many. I ordered a watch from them via the Website on 4AUG22. Got a confirmation for the order. I paid with PayPal. No notification of shipping on 5AUG. A weekend went by, so I didn't panic. Monday, 8AUG...no notification of shipping. I emailed them. I have received no emails back from them since the order was placed (except for the auto-generated order confirmation). I looked the business up on Google during the process of waiting for the order to ship, and their store hours were shown as Saturday only (I just looked them up as I write this, and store hours have been changed to "Permanently Closed"). Despite all this, the Website appears to be "open for business" (I just added a watch to my cart, added a discount coupon, and you can still check out and pay). After exhausting all attempts to contact the business, I filed the dreaded PayPal Dispute. River Edge/Luxe Time never responded to me nor to PayPal, and I was just notified that PayPal decided in my favor and has processed a full refund.

I would strongly recommend that you avoid this business."

Are they still a sponsor here? Any members in the NJ area close to the brick and mortar location can confirm they are "permanently closed"?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Thanks for sharing @Slant
Our partnership with REJ ended some time ago.

If they have gone under, it would be a shame.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

From YELP online:

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 4.46.12 PM.png
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Here's a recent Luxe Time review:

Jason Sprague

4 weeks ago
BEWARE! The owner, James, is not an authorized dealer for the watches he has listed on his website. Also he has been taking customer's money and not shipping watches. I paid him for 3 pre-order watch a year and a half ago and have not received anything. He does not answer his phone or return emails once you pay him. This guy is just a thief. His previous business was called River Edge Jewelers. Look at the google reviews for River Edge Jewlers. There are tons of reviews just like mine, where James stole their money and did not send a watch. I am writing this because James stole my money. Don't let it happen to you. I am in the process of hiring a lawyer to recover what I lost.
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

This is certainly a sad and unfortunate turn of events.
clownbaby
MoT Member

Post by clownbaby »

and it looks like they aren't selling on any platforms at this point under their Luxe Time USA name. Website no longer exists, no ebay listings...etc

Seems like they re-branded again to Best Priced Timepieces. They changed their Amazon store name and have a new website under the same name:
https://bestpricedwatches.com
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

clownbaby wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:55 am and it looks like they aren't selling on any platforms at this point under their Luxe Time USA name. Website no longer exists, no ebay listings...etc

Seems like they re-branded again to Best Priced Timepieces. They changed their Amazon store name and have a new website under the same name:
Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, they're no longer a friend of the forum and haven't been since before they changed name to Luxe Time USA.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
clownbaby
MoT Member

Post by clownbaby »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:17 am
clownbaby wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:55 am and it looks like they aren't selling on any platforms at this point under their Luxe Time USA name. Website no longer exists, no ebay listings...etc

Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, they're no longer a friend of the forum and haven't been since before they changed name to Luxe Time USA.
it is very unfortunate, I was able to acquire some nice watches because of them and nobody was able to offer the same discounts they did.
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

I had a bad experience with RiverEdge. It's worse than I'll describe here, but let's just say a Ball watch with a broken tritium tube and misaligned hour/minute hands was considered by RiverEdge to be "normal wear and tear" and not something covered under warranty. Fortunately, Ball disagreed and proved that they're a great watch company.