SOTC - Thinking about blowing (most of) it up. Ideas wanted.

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Boourns
MoT Member

SOTC - Thinking about blowing (most of) it up. Ideas wanted.

Post by Boourns »

I have too many watches. I am honestly thinking of selling off all but a couple and getting something awesome in the $1500 to $2000 range. Think Tudor Heritage Ranger, Sinn 856, Nomos Tangente/Club.

Here is what I have to work with. Sorry for the poor lighting:
Note: That top left watch on a bracelet is my high school Bulova marine star. It might be worth $20.

As much as I love them, the SARW and Zelos GMT would get me more than halfway there. Add the G-Shock, Nezumi, maybe the Khaki Mechanical, and modest amount of cash and there you have it. Thoughts? Advice? Feel free to play fantasy watch box. Everything can go except the Chris Ward -- a gift from my wife -- and let's say I could add $300 to $500.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
sistem_32
MoT Member

Re: SOTC - Thinking about blowing (most of) it up. Ideas wanted.

Post by sistem_32 »

Obviously I don't know your tastes or the emotional attachments you may have formed with your pieces over time, but if it was my collection I would be tempted to keep only the Zelos, the SARW, and the CW. If you really want to shake things up, I would consider adding a really outlandish piece, like a Dietrich or a Sevenfriday. If that isn't your style I might look into a nice vintage piece like a Universal Genève or Cartier, although those might be stretching the budget a bit. I'm also partial to Doxa Subs, or the Autodromo Monoposto. This is all off the top of my head, of course, but your conundrum presents me with a fun opportunity to play house, as it were. I'll continue mulling it over and perhaps come up with something I like better.
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

I’d keep the hamilton and Gshock along with the CW...

From the fund gathered from selling the others,I’d get a diver on bracelet from more reputable brand...I don’t really follow the current price,but probably Omega PO2500 or ETA black bay...if you’re into inner bezel,probably Longines legend diver?

If you don’t like a diver,probably sell the Hamilton and buy another field watch...or probably a GMT?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Wait. . . there is such a thing as too many watches?!?! Why didn't somebody tell me this sooner?! [emoji51]

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I think the SARW would be the hardest to get rid of personally. That thing is gorgeous! Tough call, I am gonna think about it a little more.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

The SARW is beautiful but too busy for my taste
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

The SARW will for sure be the hardest to part with. It was the first big purchase I made after getting into the hobby. But honestly it's kind of the catalyst for this post. I haven't worn it in probably 10 days, and I sort of feel guilty about it, which is obviously not the point of a hobby! I think if I have fewer, nicer watches I'll enjoy wearing them more often.

I think if I'm going to downsize I want something versitle -- it'll be something I wear 4-6 days a week. I dig the Doxa, Monoposto, and LLD but I'm not sure those are daily watch types.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

A new consideration: B&R V1-92 in blue or black:

synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

If you keep the Hamilton,get the blue B&R,blue and black dial plain dial simple watch make a good rotation
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Do you have an ideal number of watches you would like to get down to? And what is the vintage skin diver in the back right slot?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I think its a good idea. But before you do it you should probably already have an idea of what you reallyyyyy want. I plan on selling 80% of my collection in a couple years to buy just one watch, but I am not doing it until I really know what I want. I have been planning this for a while now and for me, it's a tossup between the Spectre Seamaster 300 and AP royal Oak (lol). I think 4 watches is the perfect amount
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I am thinking 4 watches it the way to go -- the CW, the Hamilton, the new daily driver, and then the G shock or something similar that is a true beater. You make a good point, [mention]AndroidIsAwesome[/mention]. The watch I have reallyyyyy wanted forever is a 114270 Explorer, but that is like triple my budget. I suppose I could just continue down the road for a year or two and shoot for that.

[mention]yinzburgher[/mention] That skin diver is a vintage Osco that [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] found on ebay in the vintage deals thread. It unfortunately gummed up a couple of weeks ago and now stops around the 30-40 second area, so I either need to get it looked at or move on.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am still ruminating on what to do, but there is no rush to decide anything. Always welcome to more ideas!
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

My suggestion will be to try lots of different watches (even in the higher price range) so you get an idea of what you like or don’t,comfortable size etc
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Don't mistake downsizing for contentment or happiness- it doesn't necessarily work that way.
However, if your collection isn't making you excited or satisfied when you look at it, it may well be time to switch some out.
I think a good way to go about it would be to sell the pieces that don't excite you or make you happy, then sit on that money until you find one you are genuinely excited about. Then wait a week or two, and if you're still into it, go for it!
I think in any case a 4 watch collection is always superior to just one watch no matter what the watch, if you're actually interested in watches.
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

I've continued thinking and come up with a few everyday-wear watches that I would consider (again, without knowing your tastes). Fortis makes a number of suitable watches, like their Spacematic Stealth, Pilot Classic Date, or Aeromaster Mission Timer. I also like a lot of Sinn's offerings, like their U1 or UX SDR GSG 9, which is entirely filled with oil to afford extreme anti-reflective properties and water resistance (certified to many thousands of meters).