How long do unused batteries last?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
deckeda
MoT Member

How long do unused batteries last?

Post by deckeda »

Our household doesn't own enough watches (I could stop the sentence right there) to merit buying replacement batteries in blister packs.

Or do we?

Last year I installed a handful of batteries, only two of them alike, for watches that don't get worn a whole bunch. Cheap fashion watches that are pretty old but still kinda fun and funky, ya know?

The other day I noticed that one of mine I replaced the battery for last year is already dead again. So that got me wondering if I should just buy a blister pack (because of the savings) or continue to buy them one at a time and hopefully get "fresher" ones (not that it helped me last time?)

What's your strategy*, and why?

* Answers that include, "I just wind the stem, like any sane person" will be viewed as less than helpful here. :D
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: How long do unused batteries last?

Post by PetWatch »

I recently had to replace a watch battery, scrounging through some disorganized drawers I thought I got lucky and found a couple of blister packs with one each, both expired.

This is what I do:

Keep them organized so when you need them their handy, no need to buy another one when you already have one.

Always check expiration date. Some cheaper packs don't have much time left.

Unless you are certain you will use more than one or two within the expiration date, skip larger packs.

Expiration date:
Manufacturer determined that battery will still have at least an 80% charge. Exact number may be off, point being they are good to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Absolutely keep them organized. I made a couple little boxes for me, and it is much easier than digging around for them.
I buy the bulk packs of 5-10, depending on how commonly I use them. My work has a bunch of electronic things, so it pays to have a variety on hand. I also replace batteries for people and if I don’t have the battery needed, I have them order a pack from Amazon and I get to keep the extras for my supply.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I installed a short-lived battery once. I bought it on Amazon from a 3rd party, and I figured I got ripped off by being sold old stock.

What I do now is test the new battery's voltage before installing it -- ideally it should be a little above the advertised voltage. (I also test the voltage of the battery I'm taking out to make sure my problem is a dead battery.)

I've purchased twice now from Amazon seller MYBATTERYSUPPLIER (sorry for the caps) and the batteries tested above the advertised voltage upon arrival. Yinzburgher has had good experience with watchtimeco on eBay.

I have a question related to yours: Does anybody replace a battery *before* the watch needs one? The Miyota movements in my cheap Casio and Ice watches don't have a low batt warning skip -- they just stop. So I can see replacing watch batteries on a schedule like smoke alarm batteries, esp. since I already have batteries on the shelf.