Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Robotaz wrote:I know this is about coffee, but I’m curious if anyone knows much about Yerba Mate. My friend in AZ had a mate bar and I learned a lot. Mateine is a combination of caffeine and other alkaloids, and it has a noticeably different effect than caffeine. Much cleaner if you ask me. Highly motivational.

Anyone?
I can’t claim to know a lot about Yerba Mate, but a few months back I started replacing my afternoon coffee habit with Guayaki Yerba Mate and sometimes a tea called Morning Thunder which is a combination of black tea and mate (not sure if Yerba or not).

I’ve really been enjoying it and I know what you mean about it feeling cleaner. I do still love my morning coffee though.
recapt
MoT Member

Re: Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Post by recapt »

And regarding coffee, if anyone is looking to try a really well balanced and smooth drinking bean for drip coffee, I highly recommend trying the Mexico Altura (Medium) from B+W here in Minnesota. We buy this stuff in 5 lb bags.

https://bwjava.myshopify.com/products/m ... =b8c7ab882
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

recapt wrote:
Robotaz wrote:I know this is about coffee, but I’m curious if anyone knows much about Yerba Mate. My friend in AZ had a mate bar and I learned a lot. Mateine is a combination of caffeine and other alkaloids, and it has a noticeably different effect than caffeine. Much cleaner if you ask me. Highly motivational.

Anyone?
I can’t claim to know a lot about Yerba Mate, but a few months back I started replacing my afternoon coffee habit with Guayaki Yerba Mate and sometimes a tea called Morning Thunder which is a combination of black tea and mate (not sure if Yerba or not).

I’ve really been enjoying it and I know what you mean about it feeling cleaner. I do still love my morning coffee though.
My final mate hijack….

…will be to say that if you try mate, be sure to get a good bombilla and gourd. You want a natural gourd if possible and you want it very small unless it’s used traditionally with other people. Here’s a decent kit that’ll be perfect.

Yerba Mate is from a river valley in South America where Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay come together. Wiki says Bolivia, too, but I had never heard that. It may be expanding ground, and I hope so, because it is a good thing for the environment. Unlike most farming in South America, Yerba Mate is dependent on jungle canopy. Promoting the drink is promoting and incentivizing stopping the practice of cutting down the jungle. There is some seriously good karma to having a drink knowing the jungle has to remain intact to grow your mate. I always loved that.

The only real considerations when buying bulk mate is whether it has stems (con palo), is without stems (sin palo), and whether the leaves are smoked during drying, or not. My opinion is that sin palo that is not smoked is best because it’s pure mate leaves and there are carcinogens involved with anything smoked. You may not have similar concern, just be aware it comes in these forms if you order it. The smoking comes from burning wood, which would obviously require cutting trees down, under the racks of drying mate. I really don’t know the history of smoking mate, but I’ve only had a couple samples that I thought were better than non-smoked and I still wouldn’t drink it much.

My friend who operated the mate bar dried orange peels, lavender, and lot of other flowers, fruit parts, and spices that you could pay extra to add to the mate. Typically you’ll find you get more out of supplements like this when you use larger gourds for group drinking. But there are lots of options and it’s quite fun finding stuff you like in your mate.

Important considerations are how much mate to use, and how much water to use. Also water is as near as boiling as possible. You pack the mate tight. It should not be floating on the water. The water should only be soaking into the mate and barely puddling on top. You pack the mate while dry. Pack it with the bombilla in the correct place to drink, at the bottom. Prepped like this mate is very strong and you will notice a strong increase in energy, but also a very profound sense of motivation and mental clarity. It’s quite different from coffee when you’re “in the zone”.

It is typical for a host with the hot water to pour your water in and the person handed the gourd takes a drink until you hear bubbles and passes it back to the person keeping the water to refill the gourd and go to the next person. It goes to your left around the group like a peace pipe. It’s bad etiquette to hand it off to the next person without hearing bubbles indicating it’s empty of water. You suck till you hear bubbles, whether it’s one or more drinks, and pass it back to the host with the water.

Also, and importantly, do not move the bombilla after you’ve packed it and added water. It should stay put. If you’re in a group it is majorly bad etiquette to mess with the bombilla and move it. Typically people hold the gourd with the index finger over the bombilla to secure it while handling. I recommend the habit.

PM me if you have any questions or develop a thing for mate. It is a very popular drink where they grow it. I recall being told that tribes have been able to live off of it during famine because it has over 100 vitamins, minerals, and other components that discussing is honestly over my head from a biological perspective.
Last edited by Robotaz on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Any scale recommendations? I have one I've used for postage, but I guess it isn't sensitive enough. It seems to settle at a weight and then not notice I've added some grounds, and even if I "unsettle" it manually it's precision isn't enough to always tell the difference. Maybe something I could use for other kitchen jobs. Thx!

Re. the effects of caffeine, one reason I prefer Peet's coffee is that it doesn't make me as edgy as other coffees do. There's def. more to stimulation than just caffeine.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:22 pm Any scale recommendations? I have one I've used for postage, but I guess it isn't sensitive enough. It seems to settle at a weight and then not notice I've added some grounds, and even if I "unsettle" it manually it's precision isn't enough to always tell the difference. Maybe something I could use for other kitchen jobs. Thx!

Re. the effects of caffeine, one reason I prefer Peet's coffee is that it doesn't make me as edgy as other coffees do. There's def. more to stimulation than just caffeine.
Any relatively recent scale that is good to the gram should do the job. Lots of cheap scales are only accurate to 2 grams, so this might be the issue with your current scale. If you want to go nuts, they have scales that are good to the tenth of a gram. I don't have one that fancy, but Wirecutter recommends a few at the bottom of this page: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... at-coffee/
I wish that watch were 38mm?
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

BostonCharlie wrote:Any scale recommendations? I have one I've used for postage, but I guess it isn't sensitive enough. It seems to settle at a weight and then not notice I've added some grounds, and even if I "unsettle" it manually it's precision isn't enough to always tell the difference. Maybe something I could use for other kitchen jobs. Thx!

This looks like a decent scale for the money.

KitchenTour Coffee Scale with Timer 3kg/0.1g High Precision Pour Over Drip Espresso Scale with Back-Lit LCD Display (Batteries Included)

The have one for $16.70 as a warehouse item.too.

I have a cheap scale and a pricey one too. Both seem to do the job for me. If you want something top of the line than I would recommend Acaia scales.

Something in between would be Timemore scale.

TIMEMORE Coffee Scale, Espresso Scale ,Weigh Digital Coffee Scale with Timer,2000 Grams TES006 (Black Plus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Well, I just went all-in on making pour-overs.

Picked up a Bodum 11571-109 maker (came in this morning), Cosori adjustable temp gooseneck kettle that is also Bluetooth controlled, and an inexpensive "Chefman" burr grinder. Both will be delivered this evening. I already have a scale and other accessories.

If I keep up with the hobby I can always upgrade, but these should be sufficient for now.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

That kettle looks nice. I have a feeling that’s my next drink purchase.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

So the family is going on a little holiday in mid February. I can't stand hotel coffee. Those crappy single serve Kuerigs suck. I have an aeropress and kettle for the trip, but I actually don't really like the aeropress and want something different.

Should I just take my chemix pour over? Concerned about the glass for the trip though. In the alternative, does anyone have experience with the pour overs for a single cup?
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm So the family is going on a little holiday in mid February. I can't stand hotel coffee. Those crappy single serve Kuerigs suck. I have an aeropress and kettle for the trip, but I actually don't really like the aeropress and want something different.

Should I just take my chemix pour over? Concerned about the glass for the trip though. In the alternative, does anyone have experience with the pour overs for a single cup?
99% of my pour overs are single cup. They work great. Many of the various pour over types can be purchased in plastic (mine are) and travel really well.

I'm surprised you don't care for the Aeropress coffee. What about it don't you like?

Now: My pour over flex from this morning's brew
IMG_20220128_051254685~2.jpg
Post brew, early morning on the lake, flat coffee bed.
(12g coffee to 200g water)
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

For Aeropress you need to grind fine almost close to espresso depending on the roast level. Maybe your hand grinder isn't grinding that fine you are getting an under extracted cup.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm So the family is going on a little holiday in mid February. I can't stand hotel coffee. Those crappy single serve Kuerigs suck. I have an aeropress and kettle for the trip, but I actually don't really like the aeropress and want something different.

They make plastic a plastic V60. I brew straight into a mug all the time with my ceramic version: Probably not quite as good as a chemex but WAY better than Keurig.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

If you're anything like me, the biggest drawback would be that 12oz is not enough capacity. For travel/hotel it may be ok, though.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

ossamanity wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:20 am For Aeropress you need to grind fine almost close to espresso depending on the roast level. Maybe your hand grinder isn't grinding that fine you are getting an under extracted cup.
What he said.

For pre-ground, I've found that Cafe Bustelo or Mehmet Efendi work great with my Aeropress.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

ManOnTime wrote:…Aeropress.
I’ve stopped all purchasing that requires shipping to Colorado, but I think this and your kettle will be my first purchases when I get moved. Looks simple, and I think with food and bev that simple generates the best.

What is filtering grounds from coming out the holes? Plastic mesh?