Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Coffee Talk: a coffee thread

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 am
ManOnTime wrote:…Aeropress.
I’ve stopped all purchasing that requires shipping to Colorado, but I think this and your kettle will be my first purchases when I get moved. Looks simple, and I think with food and bev that simple generates the best.

What is filtering grounds from coming out the holes? Plastic mesh?
Aeropress uses and comes with paper filters, and there are reusable mesh screens you can get.

I've used both, and don't have a preference for one over the other.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am
ossamanity wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:20 am For Aeropress you need to grind fine almost close to espresso depending on the roast level. Maybe your hand grinder isn't grinding that fine you are getting an under extracted cup.
What he said.

For pre-ground, I've found that Cafe Bustelo or Mehmet Efendi work great with my Aeropress.
This is definitely my issue. Maybe I'll look at getting another grinder.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:04 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 am
ossamanity wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:20 am For Aeropress you need to grind fine almost close to espresso depending on the roast level. Maybe your hand grinder isn't grinding that fine you are getting an under extracted cup.
What he said.

For pre-ground, I've found that Cafe Bustelo or Mehmet Efendi work great with my Aeropress.
This is definitely my issue. Maybe I'll look at getting another grinder.
Take a look at Baratza grinders. There are plenty of good brands out there, but I really like these guys because they design just about all their grinders to be maintained and repaired. They even have a whole section on their website about it: https://baratza.com/stop-dont-dump-it-fix-it/

They sell very reasonably priced replacement parts and give detailed how-to written instructions and videos on everything from maintenance to replacement of burrs and motors. I am not a super handyman, but I have replaced a few parts on our grinder myself, and it is still going strong after like 6-7 years.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

Stretch44 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm So the family is going on a little holiday in mid February. I can't stand hotel coffee. Those crappy single serve Kuerigs suck. I have an aeropress and kettle for the trip, but I actually don't really like the aeropress and want something different.

Should I just take my chemix pour over? Concerned about the glass for the trip though. In the alternative, does anyone have experience with the pour overs for a single cup?
If there is a kettle, then a small metal french press maybe?
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

So, my wife used to own every piece of coffee related equipment that was available 15 years ago. Then, after traveling to Germany we got hooked on a simple french press. When the glass #8 was broken, and I vacuumed the last piece of it, I got a metal french press, and this is what we use pretty much most of the time. When in real hurry - 5 cup Keurig. We like French dark roast grinded Arabica. Used to get Wegmans brand, but when COVID started tried same type from Walmart and somehow switched to it.
With Keurig - Peet's Major Dickason's brand is really nice, even in decaf deviation.
My $0.02.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

nicegator wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:36 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm So the family is going on a little holiday in mid February. I can't stand hotel coffee. Those crappy single serve Kuerigs suck. I have an aeropress and kettle for the trip, but I actually don't really like the aeropress and want something different.

Should I just take my chemix pour over? Concerned about the glass for the trip though. In the alternative, does anyone have experience with the pour overs for a single cup?
If there is a kettle, then a small metal french press maybe?
I have a kettle and have thought about that. I think I'm gonna go the single pour over route.
Miggyd87
MoT Member

Post by Miggyd87 »

nicegator wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:53 pm So, my wife used to own every piece of coffee related equipment that was available 15 years ago. Then, after traveling to Germany we got hooked on a simple french press. When the glass #8 was broken, and I vacuumed the last piece of it, I got a metal french press, and this is what we use pretty much most of the time. When in real hurry - 5 cup Keurig. We like French dark roast grinded Arabica. Used to get Wegmans brand, but when COVID started tried same type from Walmart and somehow switched to it.
With Keurig - Peet's Major Dickason's brand is really nice, even in decaf deviation.
My $0.02.
I feel Pete's is a great national/easily source brand. They print the roast dates on the bags so you know how old the coffee is, and their pricing is quite competitive. Sometimes it's hard to find the freshest stuff (2 weeks after roast) but still a very good option even a month beyond the printed on roast date. Dig to the back of the shelf as newer/fresher coffee is put in back to move old product first.

I like major Dickerson for dark roast, but my favorite Pete's is Big Bang whole bean. It's a medium roast and when brewed correctly, it's so light and sweet. It was one of the first, if not the first, coffees I ground by hand and V60d myself. It was a life altering taste experience.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

20220129_181950.jpg
20220129_181816.jpg
Turk Khavesi (old style of how coffee was made, back when the pope called it the Muslim drink... so a very long time ago).

15 Lira, comes with water and a piece of lokum/ or a cookie in this case.

One thing that's unique to America is no one drinks water after having coffee.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Spirit of the Watch wrote:
20220129_181950.jpg
20220129_181816.jpg
Turk Khavesi (old style of how coffee was made, back when the pope called it the Muslim drink... so a very long time ago).

Is there a particular reason people drink water after coffee? Only reason I’d have is diluting the acidity, but I seriously doubt that’s why anyone would do it.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:35 am
Spirit of the Watch wrote:20220129_181950.jpg20220129_181816.jpg

Is there a particular reason people drink water after coffee? Only reason I’d have is diluting the acidity, but I seriously doubt that’s why anyone would do it.
Palate cleanser.

Some sip it before coffee, some after each sip of coffee, some only when the coffee is all gone. It just depends on your personal preference.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

15% off all coffee at https://detourcoffee.com/ with code PLEASEBEMINE

People keep posting some discounts on the espresso discord. I can continue copying them here if anyone is interested?
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

I think Man on Time got it right here. Probably just an old time tradition that didn't make its way over the pond.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

They're other reasons on top of resetting the taste as per @ManOnTime .

At Middle East, especially if you're outside, it's a necessity to stay hydrated, since coffee is a potent diuretic.

Some consider water a way of preventing coffee stains on the teeth.
Here's an article https://holrmagazine.com/4-reasons-to-s ... ur-coffee/

I personally like water with Turkish style small portion, mostly to cleanse the pallet.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I saw this deal on Wirecutter deals. An Atlas coffee subscription is 1/2 off. $14 for two bags.

https://atlascoffeeclub.com/collections ... on-service
I wish that watch were 38mm?
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

Miggyd87 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:32 am
nicegator wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:53 pm So, my wife used to own every piece of coffee related equipment that was available 15 years ago. Then, after traveling to Germany we got hooked on a simple french press. When the glass #8 was broken, and I vacuumed the last piece of it, I got a metal french press, and this is what we use pretty much most of the time. When in real hurry - 5 cup Keurig. We like French dark roast grinded Arabica. Used to get Wegmans brand, but when COVID started tried same type from Walmart and somehow switched to it.
My $0.02.
I feel Pete's is a great national/easily source brand. They print the roast dates on the bags so you know how old the coffee is, and their pricing is quite competitive. Sometimes it's hard to find the freshest stuff (2 weeks after roast) but still a very good option even a month beyond the printed on roast date. Dig to the back of the shelf as newer/fresher coffee is put in back to move old product first.

I like major Dickerson for dark roast, but my favorite Pete's is Big Bang whole bean. It's a medium roast and when brewed correctly, it's so light and sweet. It was one of the first, if not the first, coffees I ground by hand and V60d myself. It was a life altering taste experience.
Just this morning tried Big Bang that arrived grounded from Amazon last night. Very interesting taste, really rounded. My wife liked it a lot.
Did somebody tried Peet's Coffee, Single Origin Brazil - Medium Roast?
Description says 100% Arabica?