SQUALE vs TANDORIO - results may surprise you

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
CVP33
MoT Member

SQUALE vs TANDORIO - results may surprise you

Post by CVP33 »

Tandorio 40mm Coke NH34 GMT lefty with Sapphire crystal w/cyclops on 316L SS jubilee $55 (at ALX summer sale with RetailMeNot rebate)

LINKY - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLOa8de

VS

Squale 40mm Coke ETA 2893-2 GMT 30 Atmos Ceramica, superluminova on 316L SS jubilee $600 (bought from SeriousWatch with a serious personal discount)

LINKY - https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/ ... mm-jubilee

I’m no watch expert….just a fan of watches under $1,500 which is my personal limit. So is the Squale worth 10X? And FYI no grading on a curve for specs…..you either punch above your weight or you don’t.

PRICE - When you consider what a watch does and costs, it’s really hard to argue that this Squale is worth 10 Tandorios. Once we get through the comparison I think you’ll agree.

T-1 S-0

DEPTH RATING - Squale uses Atmos (atmospheres) in fact 30 of them and Tandorio states 20 bar. The difference between atmos and bar is 1 bar = .986923 atmos. So really a rounding error. But 30 is in fact 50% more than 20, so Squale wins

T-1 S-1 (our first of many ties to come)

CASE FINISHING - Some differences in polish vs brush but overall both are very nice, no sharp edges and no misses or obvious cost cutting. We have a push

T-2 S-2

BEZEL - The Squale is ceramic and really looks the part, however this makes red more muted. The engraved numbers are also thinner and there’s 90 clicks for a full orbit. Action is a little muddy actually, but zero back play and hits the marks perfectly, relief cuts are smooth. The Tandorio is aluminum and the red really pops. Clicks are super precise and have a very nice audible ‘snick’ to them with zero back play and again hitting all the marks. Relief cuts are grippier (better for a true dive watch), but not sharp. 120 clicks here for a full round trip. Close but advantage Tandorio.

T-3 S-2

MOVEMENT - Not worth unpacking. No mass-produced Seiko is going to match a Sellita. Sweep vs. stutter for the win. Advantage Squale.

T-3 S-3

BRACELET - Both are jubilee, although the Squale is chunkier. More of a preference difference than an advantage either way. The end links though was a different story. Both fit perfectly against the case with no noticeable differences in tolerances. The Squale’s however do not reach the end of the lugs. I’m sure it’s to allow better articulation of the bracelet around the wrist, but frankly it just doesn’t look good. The Squale’s bracelet feels slightly more premium, however the clasp does not. Tandorio copies the Rolex here right down to the scuba deployment and the quick adjust. It works and works well. Advantage Tandorio.

T-4 S-3

CASEBACK - Squale nicely etched and definitely some attention paid here, vs. bargain-bin-bland. Advantage Squale.

T-4 S-4

CROWN and GUARDS - Both crowns are screw downs with rubber gaskets for water-proofing. The Squale’s is red vs. plain black for the Tandorio. The Squale’s is also engraved. I do think the Tandorios looks better due to the height of the guards and masks the height. The Squale’s sits a little too proud of the guards so doesn’t look as clean. Both operate easily and correctly so another push here for me.

T-5 S-5

DIAL - Both use applied indices, hands are well lumed with no overspray (will do lume next). The printed dials are very similar, however Squale’s are slightly raised. After that it pure aesthetics. I prefer the GMT hand on the S, however the hands on the T are more pleasing as is the way the minute markers fall just short of the rehaut. So another tie.

T-6 S-6

LUME - Both dials are wonderfully lumed and last as long as you’d like. However, only the Squale lumes the bezel and the superluminova lasts just a bit longer. I’m a sucker for a lumed bezel so - Advantage Squale.

T-6 S-7

RESALE and VALUE - We can argue brand-equity, warranty, etc. Honestly have you ever had a Seiko movement fail? Me either. Is there upside in the Squale? Possibly. But I’m confident I could sell either watch for 10-15% more than I paid…..so you guessed it, another tie.

T-7 S-8

I bought the Tandorio (my 3rd) because I wanted a lefty to try out. I’ve been impressed with their quality and the fact that you can buy one for a tenth the price of a Squale or Steinhart. They can definitely hang with the more premium brands with zero apologies. In the end the Squale edges it out……but just barely.

Last edited by CVP33 on Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: SQUALE vs TANDORIO - results may surprise you

Post by MoT »

I love these kinds of match-ups. I'd like to see more!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

This is great. Thanks for putting this together.

But curious, if you got your Squale from Serious Watches, why are you linking out to Gnomon?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

@TheJohnP because I believe SW is sold out…….but I may be wrong.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

Just double-checked - they are sold out.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

CVP33 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:33 pm @TheJohnP because I believe SW is sold out…….but I may be wrong.
That makes sense.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find